The eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Business Model Competition is designed to foster entrepreneurship and an entrepreneurial spirit, grow jobs through startups, and increase awareness of the resources available to grow entrepreneurs. All winners will be selected on an objective basis as determined by the criteria set forth below. You must read and comply with these rules to enter the eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Business Model Competition.
The is open to all participants who meet the following criteria:
- Anyone, from any background or education level.
- The model must be an original idea for a business from idea up to three years in operation.
- Applicants need not be based in Berlin, Brooklyn, Mumbai or Washington D.C., but they need to be able to attend regular judging and coaching sessions and events held in Berlin, Brooklyn, Mumbai or Washington D.C. from May to October 2017.
- Company officers/members are 18 years or older at the time of entry.
Fill out the official eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Business Model submission short form. Your submission must contain the following information:
- Your business idea
- Need and/or solution being filled
- Product and/or service
- Market size
- Target customer
- Revenue streams
- Management team
- Strategy to market
- Funding requirements, if any
Submissions will be accepted by: Mumbai, March 18 through May 1, 2017. Berlin, March 18 through May 8, 2017. Washington D.C., March 18 through May 15, 2017 and Brooklyn, March 18 through May, 29, 2017.
- Judges will review submitted Business Models and those selected to enter the Competition will be notified of their acceptance via email invitation to their Cities respective Build-A-Business Weekend where the Top 25 will be selected in each City.
- If selected as a Top 25 for the Competition a comprehensive Business Model and financial projections will be required for submission as a follow-up to each Cities Extreme Build-A-Business Weekend. Instructions and a link to an online Business Model long form will be sent to those invited to participate in the Competition.
All information will be kept confidential. The judges may require verification of certain information during the review of the business model. Only complete online business model forms will be considered.
- Participants are rewarded with connections to industry leaders, world class coaching and mentoring, ongoing support through an intensive business incubation process, and the opportunity to build a game-changing business.
- First Place winners from each City will receive a $15,000 cash prize. Second Place winners from each City will receive a $5,000 cash prize and Third Place Winners from each City will receive a $2,500 cash prize.
Winners will be determined from all eligible entrants and announced at the eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Celebration to be held in each City. Winners must be present to accept awards. All finalists will be expected to participate in or attend their Cities eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Award Celebration and may be required to make a brief presentation about their companies during the celebration.
Decisions will be made by a panel of judges consisting of representatives from a diverse range of backgrounds. The judging panel will evaluate the plans on the basis of:
- Reasonable opportunity for success of the business model
- Company meets an identifiable need and actively tests market response
- Company has a strong execution strategy
- Company has identified and allocated resources to be successful
- Company utilizes resources effectively
- Company has a believable competitive advantage
- Company has a sound target market and customer base
- Revenue and profit models that fit
- Strong, coachable management team
- Realistic time-frame for company growth
The entrants to the Competition will be judged on the merits of their business models with three presentations made to the panel of judges. The first presentation will include the top twenty-five business models. The second presentation will include the top twelve business models and the final round of presentations will include the top seven business models.
In the event of a tie, the judges will select the model that has the higher score under “Reasonable opportunity for success of the company.” All decisions regarding the criteria will be made solely by the organizers and sponsors. All decisions of the judges are final. These Official Rules and the decisions of the judging panel are final and binding in all respects.
For more details, visit the official eBay StartUp Cup Challenge Business Model Competition page.